How can I make my scanner permissions permanent?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:45:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Heike C. Zimmerer <nospam08q2 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Richard Mancusi <vrman49 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Try:
>>> 1. System/Administration/Users and Groups
>>> 2. Select your account (requires your password to unlock)
>>> 3. User Privileges tab
>>> 4. Put a check in everything you want privilege to (scanner is there)
>>>
>>> -rich
>>
>> There is no scanner option, either as a User Privilege or as a Group.
>
> I do have a scanner group and privilege ...
>
>> I was hoping someone with some knowledge of udev could help me figure
>> out what lines would be missing from the Brother installation....
>
> Just copy the line mentioned in the Brother document to
> e.g. 51-my-libusb.rules.  This way it will be always executed after the
> original rule.   And note: this does not only enable the scanner for all
> users, but all other libusb devices too.
>
> Heike

Thanks -- adding a special rule makes sense. I'm sure that would work,
and I may suggest it to Brother -- that's the sort of thing they
SHOULD have in their package, but of course it's an Alien package
created from an RPM.

To satisfy my curiosity I was trying to figure out why I don't have a
scanner group or permission and (probably related) why the Brother
device does not appear as a scanner with a lsusb -v in the terminal.

Heike, if you are running Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty," did you upgrade from a
previous version, or is it a clean install? (Mine is a clean install.)
If you did not upgrade, do you have some other device that registers
with udev as a scanner?

When I open xsane, (which works fine) the info panel says:

Vendor: Brother
Model: DCP-7020
Type: USB Scanner
Device: bus3;dev1
Loaded backend: brother2
Sane version 1.0.19

but lsusb says:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1058:0903 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04f9:0183 Brother Industries, Ltd DCP-7020
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d3d:0001 Tangtop Technology Co., Ltd HID Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

That item on bus 3 device 1 looks like a hub with a keyboard on it. If
I assume the lsusb and sane numbers are offset by 1, then it matches
the bus 004 Device 002.

I'm wondering if I could create a UDEV rule that identifies the device
as a scanner (in addition to a printer). Maybe then the "scanner"
permissions might get created by Ubuntu.

Well, no support yet for THAT idea -- I just plugged in a Canon
CanoScan LiDE 30 and there are STILL no scanner permissions or group.
(Though I haven't rebooted with it connected.)