wireless, Broadcom & jaunty

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed May 6 15:32:34 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

> No, this is the avahi-daemon (zeroconfig).  IF you don't get a dhcp address
> before dhclient times out, avahi kicks in and gives you a private IP that
> makes it possible for other systems on your LAN to see you.
Well, again something learned but I assume it's hard-coded in avahi.

> Well, no it isn't.  I mean, I'm sure it didn't get any, but it means your
> router is either not listening, or your NIC is not talking, or both of those
> are happening but your NIC isn't _hearing_ a response.  None of those are
> good.
I agree. Therefore I tried with Wireshark (on another system) to look at
the packets but I don't see any DHCPDISCOVER packets. I will look into
it more.

> I would consider that not a good reason :-)  But in any case, it doesn't
> appear relevant.  I was concerned that wicd didn't seem to be initiating
> dhclient, but if dhclient doesn't work from the command line anyway, the
> problem doesn't seem to be with wicd.
>

> As I said, I have no problem recommending it in the cases where NM isn't
> working, but the ubuntu development work goes into NM, so that's the
> baseline to test.  I'd still like to see what happens with Network manager,
> but I really don't think that's the problem.
I will see too. At this moment I have NM on another system and there its
working OK.

> I'm still concerned about the device showing up on eth0.  What's in your
> /etc/network/interfaces?

Well, Interfaces has:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet dhcp
wireless-key XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
wireless-essid nwhq_wireless

auto eth1

auto eth0

So this looks perfectly normal to me.

I think it is something trivial but I still don't know what. And the
laptop soesn't have a switch to turn wireless off (!) which I have on
another laptop and it's very annoying as the switch inadvertently is
pressen when you put this laptop in your lap (!).
Hope I will find the solution shortly.
Joep