Mailing list woes

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:35:07 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 16:02:26 Charlie Gray wrote:
> The Ubuntu guidelines recommend you snip messages and do not quote a
> whole conversation, but then surely if somebody comes along half way
> through, they will not know what is going on without reading each email.
> So do you only quote the last text you are replying to and not the
> previous people or irrelevant paragraphs?
> --

You leave enough to make the context of what you are saying completely clear.
At least, that is the idea.  I'm not very good at it.

It is also encouraged to intersperse your reply with the original to which you
are replying, so that your reply comes immediately after the sentence on
which you are commenting or question to which you are replying.

This style does mean, of course, that readers need to read the question in the
original in order to make sense of the answer.

HTH
Lisi