Inappropriate tone on this mailing list and requirement for governance

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed May 6 12:38:53 UTC 2009

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
>
> The tone used on this mailing list recently got a lot worse and totally
> out of bounds with the requirement to respect the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
> [1] for posts to this list.
>
> While we have a mailing list etiquette [2] the size of this list lets
> things run out of control quite often and i observed more and more the
> call for mailing list administrator intervention in the past.
>
> The persons currently running the list do not have the resources to
> actively monitor every single post for appropriate content or Code of
> Conduct violation.

Here's my $0.02 worth (and in this economy that's not much at all, but
here goes.)

As Ubuntu touts itself as the 'linux for the masses', or in any case for
n00bs, you're going to see a /lot/ of newbie mistakes.  Poor grammar, a
complete lack of information on the problem, etc.  The latter engenders
ill-will more often than not because most people don't take criticism
well.  /Especially/ in this day and age where 'everyone is a victim'.

I know it's hard to be nice to snotty people.  But for those of us who
have done this a long while there are two choices.  (And I, for one,
have seriously contemplated both in recent weeks because of this very
problem.)

We can kill with kindness, and if the 'abuse' (used loosely) continues,
filter the sender and never deal with them again.  This should be SOP, I
know it is for me.

Or, we can leave the list altogether.  This one I SERIOUSLY considered
for well over a month.  One because, while I don't use Ubuntu on my own
systems, I do manage several for my relatives, but isn't completely
necessary for me to be on since I can usually figure my problem out on
my own.  Another reason is the general tone on this list.  We have a few
VERY knowledgeable people on this list, who are helpful and can
concisely resolve a problem without confusing the poster of the problem
(usually, anyway).  However, even their patience can be tested by people
(MG is the most recent offender) who refuse to use proper etiquette and
when offered advice on how best to maximize the speed of their problem
solving get defensive and angry.

Sadly, I see more and more of these types of people on this list.
Ubuntu is a good distro, but it's killing itself by the actions of
people on this list.  I know of almost a dozen people personally who've
switched distros precisely because of this behaviour.  And this is the
primary reason I considered leaving the list as well.

I see no real benefit to a 'committee' of etiquette police.  I much
prefer to manage my own filters of people and not rely on someone else's
judgement.  I do think, the 'regulars' need to come up with a standard
agreement and stick to it on how to handle trolls.  A united front from
the 'leaders' in this list will make a BIG difference in how trolls and
n00bs behave.

In my opinion, of course.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415