Removed failed update from Update Manager

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Wed May 6 08:21:57 UTC 2009

Mark Nichols:

> A few days ago I installed a slew of Java 6 packages included
> sun-java6-doc. Which unfortunately doesn't work. Now every time I run
> Update Manager I get the same error message and have to type a "no" and
> hit return in order for the rest of the updates to complete.

Since you didn't bother to tell us what the error message actually says,
I can only guess:
for the successful installation of sun-java6-doc you'll have to manually
download the zip file with the docs from Sun's website, copy it to the
/tmp directory and change it's ownership to root:root.
The installation process will give you detailed instructions on what
exactly you have to do. When using a GUI app for installing, you'll
probably have to expand a details view (or similar) to actually see
those instructions, though.
Something like
apt-get -f
or
aptitude safe-upgrade
should display what exactly fails.

> There must be a way to remove failed updates from being tried again on
> subsequent runs of the updater, but I haven't been successful in finding
> them yet.

If it's really sun-java6-doc that's causing the problem, you can try to
uninstall it. But since you tried to install it, I guess you wanted to
have it on your machine. So, the obvious thing to do would be to make
the installation succeed.

Regards
  mks