sluggish performance Jaunty

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:51:46 UTC 2009

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Since I installed Intrepid and now continuing with Jaunty, I find my Dell
> 600 m to be performing rather sluggisly.  For example, Open Office goes into
> slow mo loading, and also opening files, specifically when you click to open
> a file, the OO screen darkens and about a minute later returns to normal and
> then lists files.  Same problem with GIMP.  In FF, if you click to attach a
> file in yahoo or google, same problem.
>

> The 600 m has an ati 9200 video card.  I have about 5 gigs space on the
> ubuntu portion of the disk.  The machine has 375 megs of memory, 1.4 m

What is the free disk space you have on your Ubuntu partitions? Paste
the output of the following command here:
$> df -h

> processor.  Sometimes gnome takes 40% of the CPU's processing capacity.
> Mostly it sits around 10-12.  Temperature usually stays around 50C,
> sometimes 60C.
>
> I ran the computer janitor without any effect on this problem.
>
> Hardy did not have this problem.  Generally worked much quicker.

Do you have special effects enabled? Boot time surely should be shorter
than in Hardy.

BTW, I am not sure you get a spiffy fast gnome desktop on Jaunty with
375 MB of RAM.

ever having been read.