Switching off all sound notifications (gnome apps in kde)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 4 22:56:49 UTC 2009

On 05/04/2009 03:29 PM, marc wrote:
> marc said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed on the same machine.
>>
>> For the same user, I have switched of sound notifications in Ubuntu
>> (System/Preferences/Sound/Sound Preferences/Sounds/<uncheck all>) and
>> Kubuntu (System Settings/Notifications/System Notifications/Player
>> Settings/<No audio output>).
>>
>> However, when running gnome apps in Kubuntu sounds still play for
>> notifications and button pushes.
>>
>> It seems odd that the gnome apps aren't honouring the user's settings.
>>
>> How do you stop this from happening?
>
> See:
>
>   [Jaunty] Sound in GTK apps can't be disabled under KDE
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/343677
>
> Temp fix is to remove ubuntu-sounds. Not much use on a multi user
> systems, though.

I suspect that this is related to this bug:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/277203>
[gnome-sound-properties setting to disable login sound not honored]
and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcanberra/+bug/310199
[[Jaunty] libcanberra-login-sound.desktop times out]