Sending a odt file format to windows user

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Mon May 4 12:44:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 05:43:33 AM -0600, Allen Meyers wrote:

> I have occasion to e-mail attachments to a die hard MS user (business
> contact) and he goes bonkers when he cannot open it.
> (a) what to change the odt to

Allen,

I don't know about the font, sorry, but with respect to your first
question, you can select "File->Save As" and then choose a file type
like "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP", to create a MS Word version of your
document. If layout isn't too complicated, there should be no
formatting problems.

General advice: of course, with the kind of correspondent you mention
in this message the only solution, at least in the short term, is to
make him happy, that is send files in MS formats. You may, however,
add a note saying something like

    here's the file as you want it, but just for the record, the
    reasons why I normally use that other format are explained at
    these links:
    http://mfioretti.com/just-say-no-openxml
    http://mfioretti.com/everybodys-guide-opendocument
    http://mfioretti.com/how-file-formats-can-be-used-favor-or-hamper-innovation-active-citizenship-and-really-free-markets

it won't make it any difference now, of course, but it may do it in the long run.

HTH,
		Marco Fioretti
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84