Skype: Does Notification for "Incoming" work for you?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon May 4 10:42:59 UTC 2009

Bill Moseley said:

> With 9.04 and Skype 2.0.0.72 (from Skype site) everything is working,
> except I do not get an audio notification on incoming call.
>
> Can someone confirm if your incoming call notification works?
>
> Sound does work in general.  I'm using "pulse" for my Sound Out device,
> although the "Make a test sound" does not work.
>
> If I go to Skype's options, select Notifications and then I can select
> "Outgoing Call Ringing" and click "Test Event" I hear the sound -- but
> if I try "Incoming Call Ringing" and click Test Event I get a popup to
> indicate an incoming call, but no sound.

Yup, works here.

> BTW -- what's the difference between "plug" and "hw" on the various
> inputs?
>
>     plughw:intel,0
>     plughw:intel,4
>     hw:intel,0
>     hw:intel,4
>     pulse

I think that pulse means: use the pulse interface; plughw and hw, the
alsa interface. hw doesn't perform any conversion (e.g. sample rate,
stereo simulation), so it's a "lighter" interface. However, it might mean
that when you try to output to your device using it, it might not work,
because your device doesn't support what you are sending it.

My current order of pref is: default device; pulse; plughw; hw.

They have made the most almighty royal mess of audio that could possibly
be conceived. But everyone seems to have their head in the sand about it.

--
Best,
Marc