Stupid French troublemaker

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 18:26:34 UTC 2009

Graham Todd wrote:
> On Sat, 02 May 2009 18:44:32 -0600
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>     I need to figure out how to make a blacklist on Thunderbird. I
>> will check it out and see if I can find a way to do it.
>>
> [snipped]
>
> When I used to use Thunderbird (long time ago now), I couldn't make a
> blacklist that was effective.
>
> However, I installed mailfilter with its own .rc file that acts as a
> blacklist.  Mailfilter kills mail on the server before its downloaded,
> but it works only on POP3 servers.  Run as a cron job every couple of
> hours it keeps my mail pretty spam and annoyance - free.
>
> When I download my mail it is sorted by bogofilter pretty efficiently,
> certainly better than Thunderbird's spam filters at the time, and after
> checking I can delete the few pests I now get.
>
> I suggest that way to setting up a blacklist and can send you an
> edited .mailfilterrc if its any help.
>
> I have a different problem. I am using IMAP from Gmail and the mail goes to Gmail and then the title is sent to me either on my home computer or my laptop. If I read the mail it is uploaded.
    So a blacklist would have to connect to Gmail and I'm not sure if
they allow such things. And I am not experienced with such things.

    My effort so far has been with Thunderbird Tools-Message filters and
with the many identical emails I get it seems I can't do what I need. It
appears the controlled email has to come through the inbox before it
hits the filters. But email to mine seems not to take the same route. I
will investigate further :-)

Karl