unexpected restart of computer

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Sun May 3 14:32:37 UTC 2009

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20090503 0920 GMT-5
>
> In the past 24 hours, 3 times now my computer has rebooted.
> Well, thats not entirely accurate...
>
> Just 2 minutes ago I was reading a article on a web site, I moved my
> cursor up and to the left to back out of that page and my screen
> instantly turned black. It takes between 5 and 10 seconds and then the
> login screen pops up. So the computer hardware isn't rebooting, only the
> OS.
>
> Even trying to save your documents every few minutes is difficult on
> something like this.
>
> I looked in the logs but I don't see anything that would say something
> occurred.
>
> Wade

20090503 0931 GMT-5

I restarted my computer thinking if it goes all the way down and comes
back up maybe it would stablize it... I then checked the logs and right
at the top (almost) is this:

May  3 09:15:52 wadesmart gdm[22924]: WARNING:
gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005