No Help for libc Function 'fprintf' Found on Ubuntu 9.04

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat May 2 17:12:08 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Tom Browder wrote:
>> Thanks, Jason and NoOp, you guys are too fast--I need to check my mail
>> more often!
>>
>> -Tom
>>

>     Tom on Hardy I see the function "fprintf" is part of the perl
> language.

The perl fprintf is a wrapper around the /original/ fprintf, which is
part of the standard C library.  I won't say anything more about the
perl version, since I don't know perl

I wanted to change that to "printf" which is what you use in C
> programming to output words :-)

printf(...) in C is simply a shortcut for:

fprintf(stdout, ...)

fprintf allows you to specify any stream (represented by a
pointer-to-FILE), which printf always uses the stdout stream.

> In C++ it is out>> so you see the lazy way we learn.

Contrary to popular belief, (f)printf and the rest of the standard C
library is completely usable in C++, and is easier for some things.

Matt Flaschen