Logitech: We don't have any mouse that works with Ubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:48:32 UTC 2009

2009/5/2 Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org>:
> Hi!
>
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Of course, ALL Logitech products work under Linux. But they are not
>>> "supported" because Logitech isn't spending any time validating them.
>>>
>>> All Logitech mice (and keyboards) follow the USB-HID device specifications,
>>> which is what the Linux mouse and keyboard drivers aim for.
>>>
>>> They work. All
>> Then the problem is just Logitech pretending that me and my OS don't
>> exist. They can do that, it's their choice to pretend that a potential
>> customer does not exist. But I would not think that is good for
>> business
> Actually, you'd be surprized. By delivering spotless support for a
> platform that covers 95% of the world market of desktop, they manage to
> do very well.

I think that Windows now holds 89% of the desktop market, but your
point is equally valid at 89% as it is at 95%.

> And irony isn't just for the fun. That IS their business model.
>
> In a way, they couldn't care less about Linux. They barely care for Mac
> (but their software isn't that good on Mac).
>
> They have a hard time understanding the interest of open source. It
> takes a lot of time for a company with proprietary hardware, proprietary
> software to make the leap and go full support of the open source world.
> Look at ATI. They're not 100 % there yet either.

I am not asking for open source drivers from Logitech. Actually, I
think that Linux needs more proprietary apps.

> Give'em time.

And motivation! Money is my motivation, and I tried giving it to them
but they don't want it.

> And don't blame necessarily Logitech for all of it: Blame the sales rep
> who doesn't know his products well enough to be able to tell you "yeah,
> the mouse doesn't officially support Linux, but all the default USB-HID
> features will work... so you can go ahead and buy it safely".

He represents to company. That's what the "rep" in "sales rep" stands for.

> To give you an example... if you get a fancy Logitech bluetooth mouse
> that comes with its own USB dongle... it will work, even if your Linux
> machine doesn't have a working Bluetooth stack. Why? Because until the
> USB dongle's Bluetooth stack is properly initialized, it first supports
> the mouse as a USB-HID over proprietary radio protocol... But the sales
> rep has no idea of that because he's only trained to sell you a no-risk
> version at highest possible margin (or price if they're not smart enough).

I am aware of all that. And I _still_ insist that my hardware
acknowledge the fact that I use the OS that I use.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il