wireless, Broadcom & jaunty

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat May 2 15:46:32 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sorry if this shows up twice - I started writing and the message just
> disappeared.  I don't _think_ it got sent...
>
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Typically it will be wlan0 and the first ethernet wired port will be
>> eth0. There were some issues with Ubuntu mixing the mac assignements &
>> even incrementing the ethx. There is a way to clear it, but I can't put
>> my finger on it just now (it's here in the archives).
> I'm pretty certain you just delete the udev .rule file (actually, rename it
> to anything without a .rule suffix - that way when I'm wrong you can just
> name it back), and (as with CD/DVDs) it will rebuild the ruleset when it
> doesn't find any rules.
>
>> The fact that udev
>> is reassigning wlan0 to eth0 is a bit of a puzzle (to me) & worth
>> looking into further.
>
> I think this is pretty much guaranteed if you have the same MAC address
> assigned, which is pretty easy to do (though hardly likely to be
> accidental).  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I have actually had a broadcom NIC
> given an eth* name, though it's quite some time since I've used a broadcom.
>
>>> By the way, I never use /etc/init.d/<any_service parameter> but sudo
>>> service <any_service parameter>. Service is a small wrapper utιlity in
>>> /usr/bin. I used it always in Fedora.
> Well, ain't that kewl!  I defined an alias for "service" ages back.  I never
> even noticed that it has been added in the sysvinit-utils package.

Derek,
I was the one who used 'service' already for ages.
Thanks for the suggestion that the rules are recreated when you remove
it but that is not the problem in my opinion. In my former mail I showed
that the wireless is asking for an IP-address but doesn't get a
response. I wonder if it asks for an IPv6 address as the last line is
"eth0 no IPv6 routers present" but where that comes from defeats me.
The MAC-address in the .rules file came from the wireless router.
Joep