Flash player not working in firefox

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sat May 2 12:51:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 12:38:25PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> I think it is time for a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10 (released in
> October 2008) which will have updates at least until April 2010 (all
> "normal releases" provide 18 months of updates at least). 8.10 is
> very stable now, since it has updates of 6 months, and since it
> provides a newer kernel, it supports more hardware out of the box.

Well, 8.10 sucks out loud on my system due to Intel chipset issues.
So an upgrade is not always a good thing. The performance is radically
worse than 8.04 (for Xorg, and especially Firefox which is borderline
usable despite following every tweak I can find).

In any case, my work Desktop is 8.04, and I very easily upgraded to
Flash10 with just these steps:

$ killall firefox
$ sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree
$ sudo dpkg -i install_flash_player_10_linux.deb

Then restart Firefox. To my pleasant surprise, it worked just fine.
Even sound (which I've have also had problems with ever since 7.10).
Sound gremlins of course are prone to re-appear at any time, so my joy
may well be shortlived.

--
Hal