On Vista turning off Wifi, was: Don't buy HP computers

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Mar 31 17:28:41 UTC 2009

M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 05:44:34 AM -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> A problem occurred that kept WiFi from working. The problem is that
>> the wifi hardware is turned off by Vista when you stop it.
>
> Karl, and all list members,
>
> there is one thing here which I would like to understand: are we 100%
> sure that the behavior above is something that Vista always does by
> default, that is a deliberate design decision by Microsoft designers?
> Or is it something that, for any reason, only happens on your own
> laptop, or only on all HP laptops, etc..?

No, it's not default Vista behaviour.  There are many, many forum posts
you can google that talk about drivers that do that on various vendor
cards, but that there is software that will enable that function.  There
is also a post on how to make vista disable that power management
feature from the control panel.

I would think most laptops have the enabled, but no Vista wireless
desktops I know do not.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support