Compaq TC1100 running 8.10 won't boot after updates.

Skip Fed9 skipfed9 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:18:15 UTC 2009

Hey all!
First, thank you for any insight you can contribute.  I am trying to decide
what my next steps are.

I have a Compaq [hp] TC1100 tablet that has been running 8.04 and then a
fresh install of 8.10 beautifully - till the updates last night.

I chose download and install last night, went to the gym, came back to a
Updates Installed message and a locked PC.  C-A-B didn't restart x - so I
did a hard power down.

The machine is a tablet without a attached DVD drive [it is USB] etc.  so
the only disk to boot from is the hard disk.

Upon booting this morning I get [roughly]:

Boot from (hd0,0)  ext3

Starting up. . .

Ata1.00:exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

Ata1.00 . . . Bmdma stat 0x5

Ata1.00 . . . Media error

Ata1.00 . . . DRDY Err

Ata1.00 . . . Error: UNC

[above repeats 5 times I believe]

19+0 records in

19+0 records out

Kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/d68382. . .) = dev(8,5)

Kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/d68382a0. . .

Kinit: No resume imate, doing normal boot

Mount:  mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/d683823. . .on /root

Failed: Invalid argument

Mount:  mounting /root/dev on /dev/ .static/dev failed:  No such file or
directory

Mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed:  No such file or directory

Mount:  mounting /proc on /root/proc failed:  No such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn’t have /sbin/init.

No init found.  Try passing init=bootarg

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubunto 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)

Enter’help’ for a list of built in commands.

(initramfs)

I have two thoughts:  The hard drive crashed or the update crashed.  Any
ideas?

Thank you!

Patrick