cloning virtualbox VMs

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Mar 31 12:37:19 UTC 2009

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 13:07 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>>> I'm stumped. I'd really like my VMs to "just work". I really don't want
>>> to have to separately install each one; I just want to be able to make
>>> one good one and clone it.
>> just a wild guess:
>> Does your network connectivity improve, if you click on "generate" at
>> the network card MAC address configuration?
>
> I haven't tried it. Each VM has a different MAc address, if that's what
> you are thinking. As far as I can tell, "generate" does nothing except
> generate a new MAC address with a random bottom 6 digits.
>
> Regards, K.

sure, it does. OTOH MACs originally are tied to vendor specific numbers.

For lack of a better idea, I would just try and see. ;-))

Fwiw: I recently transfered an LTSP Server VM based on Xubuntu from
Kubuntu to virtualbox on Win XP and it worked greatly. But as the xml
files on win and lin are differently formatted, I only transfered the
vmdisk and I configured the rest of the virtual pc manually, according
to the pattern that I had on Linux. There is also a "host interface"
network card involved, that gets dhcp from an external dhcp server, but
again, all the peripherals were newly created.

Eberhard