Create a Bootable USB Pen Drive

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Mon Mar 30 17:40:04 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have a 50MB ISO file I would like to "burn" to a 65MB Pen Drive.

If I use K3B to burn it to a normal CD-RW, I can then boot from that CD. I
tried to do the following:

In a console:

$ sudo dd if=/pathe/to/ISOfile of=/dev/pendrive_device

I got the contents on the pen drive, but when I try to boot from it (and my
BIOS supports it) - it claimes there is no system disk.

What should I do to make it bootable? I tried a few things fro Pendrive
Linux - without success.

My grand plan is to create a USB pendrive that boots to a menu (like GRUB or
SysLinux) toboot diferent tools from it. Any pointers to gudes /HOWTOs
regarding this task (for a diferent USB pen drive) will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html