printers for UBUNTU?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Mar 30 17:05:47 UTC 2009

elmo wrote:
> which printers are OK for ubuntu  and which should be avoided.?

Well, as others said there are essentially three alternatives, you can
choose from:

==HP
==HP
and
==Hewlett-Packard

But:
Unfortunately, not all HPs are working with Linux. However, the already
given website clearly outlines what works with Linux and what does not.

And if it works, it works superbly. I never saw such an outstanding
Linux support!

I also have very good experiences with Brother printers. Again, only use
those, where brother supports linux. You can find out about this on the
brother website.

They also work very well, but the installation is a little more
complicated than with HP.

In regard to the recommendation not to use Lexmark:
It depends:
==At all costs avoid cheap lexmark printers, they are not worth your money.
==The enterprise Lexmark Laser Printers that support postscript, work
exceptionally well with Linux.

Lastly, as with everything Linux related, you should absolutely make
certain that your printer works with Linux BEFORE buying it!!

Kind regards
Eberhard