Thoughts about finding viruses in email inboxes

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 28 22:00:44 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 3/28/09, David M. Karr <davidmichaelkarr at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: David M. Karr <davidmichaelkarr at gmail.com>
> Subject: Thoughts about finding viruses in email inboxes
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 3:38 PM
> If I have clamav running an automated scan each night, and
> it finds a
> virus in my IMAP inbox, what good does that do me?  I have
> 156 messages
> in my Inbox currently, and no way to know which one has the
> virus
> (although it's pretty likely it was one of the messages
> I've received in
> the last 24 hours).  It seems like it would be useful for
> clamav to have
> some sort of integration/knowledge with the mail system, so
> it can
> provide better information about which email message has a
> virus.  Is
> there any practical way to do this?  Has this ever been
> considered?

Have the same problem even on a manual test
of the HDD.  It reports several viruses found but doesn't say what or where they are located. In the past, clamav, would list the names and location but now it doesn't anymore or I can't find them.  They are likely just the test paterns that are provided to be sure your av detects the viruses but who knows as not enough info is reported.  Maybe some smart persons will tell us how to get clamav to report on found viruses again.  I'm at a lost.  Clamav doesn't always remove the virus, at least on the HDD, as someone has said at least in my case.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net