preferred applications in gnome/nautilus

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 27 17:32:20 UTC 2009

On 03/27/2009 08:14 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I have a small annoying problem because I can't find (or have forgotten)
> where the applications, visible in nautilus, can be changed
> (when right-clicking on a filename a menu pops up with a list of
> applications).
> I've looked on all items under System-> Preferences and System->
> Administration but nothing is there and the help information is not very
> helpful.
> I want e.g. to start OO-files to read with OO 3.01 but nautilus finds
> only OO 2.4, and it will stubornly try to start khexedit but I want to
> use Ghex (I use Gnome from the start).
> It must be something simple but I can't find it and hope somebody has
> more knowledge and can help me out.
> My system: AMD64 OS: Hardy.
> Thanks in advance,
> Joep

Right click the file, select Properties|Open With - or right click and
select Open With|Open with other application. You most likely will not
find your 3.0.1 in the dropdown list of programs (yet), so you will need
to add it. Use 'Use a custom command' and then 'Browse'. Browse to your
3.0.1 swriter, scalc, etc. (File System|Opt|openoffice.org3|program) and
use that to start the document. Thereafter you should then see swriter,
scalc, etc., in the dropdown program list.

The files that are associated with the list are located in:
~/.local/share/applications
default.list and mimeapps.list
OOo files are 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument'

You can modify the associated .desktop file if you wish. For example
here is a basic swriter 'userapp-swriter-<someidentifier>.desktop' file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec='/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter' %f
Name=swriter
Comment=Custom definition for swriter
NoDisplay=true

It can be modified to show an icon in the dropdown list & a better
definition:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Icon=ooo-writer
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Office;WordProcessor;
Exec='/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter' %f
Name=OpenOffice.org3 Word Processor
Comment=Custom definition for OOo3 swriter
NoDisplay=true
MimeType=application/msword;application/rtf;application/vnd.ms-works;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-template;application/vnd.stardivision.writer;application/vnd.stardivision.writer-global;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.template;application/vnd.wordperfect;application/wordperfect;application/x-extension-txt;application/x-t602;text/plain;text/rtf;application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template;