Trying to DUMP Windows.... But

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Mar 27 15:00:10 UTC 2009

Chris Jones wrote:

> This is true. But there are many things (IMO) which do not work as well
> in a VM as a native install,

No doubt - I was just trying to express the point that installing via wubi
does _not_ make Ubuntu a "Windows Program", though in a sense installing it
in a VM does.

> such as access to USB drives (I find the
> free VM solutions tend to do worse here than paid for ones).

I have had zero problems accessing any of my USB devices in the XP guest
under a Linux host.  I haven't tried using USB on the Linux guest under
Vista.

> Also, you
> won't get good graphics performance in a VM ubuntu install, as you would
> in a native install.

Again, I'm sure you're right.  Virtualbox does actually claim to be able to
do 3D, now, but I wouldn't count on it.

--
derek