Screen keeps going blank but should NOT ! :-/

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Fri Mar 27 13:45:03 UTC 2009

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:02:38 +0100
> Franz Waldmüller <waldbauernbub at gmx.at> wrote:
>

>> One of my screens went black randomly (=it powered itself off) but I
>> discovered that the power switch of the monitor was faulty. If you got
>> another monitor at hand you could test it.
>>
>> just an idea.
>>

> Yeah I did consider a hardware problem. But I don't think it's the
> problem. The monitor doesn't power off, it only goes "idle" and goes
> back to life again as soon as I move the mouse, showing that's it
> responsive. That, plus that fact that there are trillions of bugs in
> Linux with new ones continually added... make me favour the option of a
> software problem...
>
> --
> Vince

Hello,

Try "xset -dpms" to see if this disables the behavior. It will not stick
session to session however, according to "man xset" so I'm not sure how
to make it permanent. "xset q" will give the current settings.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com