Trying to DUMP Windows.... But

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Mar 27 12:33:53 UTC 2009

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> But that's the important point - it only INSTALLS like a Windows program.
>> Because it then runs direct from the Windows Boot Manager, it _doesn't_
>> run, in any sense, as a Windows _program_.  Windows programs are available
>> from within Windows.  Ubuntu, after being installed via Wubi, is not.  So
>> no, not for any intents or purposes...  It's a pretty significant
>> difference to a Windows user who's never used Linux, because running out of
>> a VM means they can always get back to Windows while the VM is still
>> running (possibly starting up some lesser Internet browser to get an answer
>> to why they're having problems), which you can't do after you boot from
>> Wubi.
>
> This is true. But there are many things (IMO) which do not work as well
> in a VM as a native install, such as access to USB drives (I find the
> free VM solutions tend to do worse here than paid for ones).

Guys...c'mon...if he doesn't know a VM from a boot manager, if he's kind
of venturing into the realm of trying Ubuntu...why dig into the innards
of what's going on with Wubi vs. VM systems vs. liveboot vs....etc...on
the mailing list? :-) You're going to overwhelm him with details that
from his point of view may not mean anything!

Sounds like Wubi will be the way for him to go, but first make a good
backup. ;-)