Trying to DUMP Windows.... But

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:06:56 UTC 2009

Welcome to the world of open source software.

Hello Richard. You have received a wealth of answers already but I would
like to make a couple of comments.

The first being, please post in text only to the list.

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:40:39 -0400, Richard posted:
> Been watching Linux for the past few years, and have wonder "if" its
> ready to replace my Vista Desktop.

To clarify, "Linux" is the kernel that GNU software can use, but there are
other kernels. That's a bit picky and we generally understand what you
mean. In addition, there are lots of different distributions of "Linux"
(as you have used the term), as well as derivatives and branches, some
work better than others and some are specifically targeted at particular
tasks. I believe that there are even multimedia distros. Use of a search
engine might give you another wealth of information.

[...snipped to save bandwidth]