Trying to DUMP Windows.... But

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Mar 27 00:43:38 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:

>>> Or, install as a Windows program using Wubi:
>>
>> That's really not true.  It installs _via_ a windows program, into a
>> loopback filesystem in an NTFS file, but when you boot you're booting a
>> full Linux system without any hint of Windows (from the Windows boot
>> manager).
>
> Yes, I don't disagree that it uses a loopback file[1], however for all
> intents and purposes from a _Windows_ point of view it is installed as a
> Windows program.
>
> http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
> ======
> How does Wubi work?
>
> Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows you to run
> Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the Windows file system
> (c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a real hard
> disk.

But that's the important point - it only INSTALLS like a Windows program.
Because it then runs direct from the Windows Boot Manager, it _doesn't_
run, in any sense, as a Windows _program_.  Windows programs are available
from within Windows.  Ubuntu, after being installed via Wubi, is not.  So
no, not for any intents or purposes...  It's a pretty significant
difference to a Windows user who's never used Linux, because running out of
a VM means they can always get back to Windows while the VM is still
running (possibly starting up some lesser Internet browser to get an answer
to why they're having problems), which you can't do after you boot from
Wubi.
--
derek