Not enough free swap space to hibernate

Guy Thouret lists at thouret.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 15:32:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 13:45 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> I have the same problem, Ubuntu often uses lots of swap even though
> there is bags of available RAM, therefore slowing down the system with
> lots of useless disk access).

If you have lots of available RAM you could try adjusting the swappiness
of the kernel by changing the value of /proc/sys/vm/swappiness.

Values in the range 0 to 100.  The higher the value, the more the kernel
will swap out pages from RAM to disk and vice versa.

So if you want to minimise use of swap space and keep pages in RAM set
the kernel swappiness to 0.

To make a permanent change, add the line vm.swappiness = value
to /etc/sysctl.conf where value is the desired swappiness value.

There's an old discussion of it at http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000

Guy.