OT: Thunderbird email removal

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:00:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina at lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> [...] Yes, I
>> know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
>> the first place if you want to delete mails?
>
> It's a stupid inheritance from the Windows world.

Not really correct there.

Pine, which I used heavily in the early 90's used "mark as deleted".
Prior to that, we had Foozle, April and Spot which all used a similar
mechanism. I'm sure if I thought about it longer, there would be many
more... Xmail comes to mind immediately on Vax VMS systems along with
a program who's name I don 't recall on ICL VME machines.

It's been quite common since the 1970's to use a similar mechanism so
to decry it as a "stupid inherientance" is pretty much pissing on ones
own ancestors.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0