tcpslice: cannot accept captures with zero or one packet

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Mar 24 13:34:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:38:23 -0700
Sam Roberts <sroberts at wurldtech.com> wrote:

> Package: tcpslice
> Version: 1.2a3-2ubuntu1
> Severity: important
> Tags: patch
>

> tcpslice fails on packet captures with zero or one packet in them.
> Given an arbitrary set of captures, it is entirely possible that some
> of them don't have packets or have small numbers of packets.
>
> It is not easy to determine how many packets are in a capture, and
> tcpslice itself will write captures with zero or one packets if that
> is how many are found in a slice.
>
> This is easily reproduceable with tcpslice by running it with -R to
> find the time of the first/last packet in a capture, then creating
> slices that have the last packet and no packets.
>

> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: lenny/sid
>   APT prefers gutsy-updates
>   APT policy: (500, 'gutsy-updates'), (500, 'gutsy-security'), (500,
> 'gutsy-proposed'), (500, 'gutsy-backports'), (500, 'gutsy')
> Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
>
> Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-16-generic (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
> Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
> Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
>
> Versions of packages tcpslice depends on:
> ii  libc6                    2.6.1-1ubuntu10 GNU C Library: Shared
> libraries ii  libpcap0.8               0.9.7-1build1   System
> interface for user-level pa
>
> tcpslice recommends no packages.
>
> -- no debconf information

Can you file this on launchpad? I know the system sent it to the users
mailing list, but it never gets worked if it stays here.

The right place to file bug reports is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

That will give the developers a chance to see if they can fix it.

By the way, Gutsy is Ubuntu 7.10. The support period is now nearing its
end and Ubuntu 7.10 will reach end of life on Saturday, April 18, 2008.
At that time, Ubuntu Security Notices will no longer include
information or updated packages for Ubuntu 7.10.

I would suggest upgrading to 8.04 LTS, which has a support of three
years for home users, 5 years for server edition.

Thanks.

--
Charlie Kravetz