Cleaning-up Old Versions

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:05:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:15:50 -0700, Philip Schroeder posted:
Please post to the list in text only. More below...

> I am a relatively new user of Linux and Ubuntu. The path to were I am
> now in my journey to master Linux. I have finally got an install I am
> happy with. I have Ubuntu 8.10 for AMD 64 bit processors running stably
> for a few months now. I am using it as my main access to the world, when
> at home. How do I clean-up all the unneed stuff in my Grub Loader 1.5. I
> am running a dual-boot Acer laptop. I do need XP sometimes, but mostly I
> like Ubuntu. I also have another loader installed in the process that
> comes up when I choose to run XP from Grub. I'd like to make that go
> away too. Suggestions...?

We'd need a lot more specific information about exactly how your system is
configured to give you a step-by-step formula without the danger of
advising you incorrectly, thus causing you grief, and not many people want
to do that anyway. Lots, though, will be happy to answer your specific
questions after you have researched on your own.

The grub menu list /boot/grub/menu.lst is annotated.

Further information is available in the GNU GRUB manual, usually accessed
from a terminal with "info grub".

Or online at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html