Need assistance

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Mon Mar 23 16:19:19 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>>     My advice is to take the Laptop back to where you bought it and get
>>> all your money back. It's clear Dell has no idea how to fix the WiFi and
>>> that is criminal! If they sell it as having WiFi you can take them to
>>> court.
>> Why recommend a "shoot first and ask questions later" strategy first?
>> It's needlessly antagonistic and certainly does nothing to advance the
>> cause of Linux at Dell.
>
> Because Dell is criminally irresponsible about support.

Hyperbole. Good luck in suing Dell for being "criminally irresponsible".

>> Never attribute to malice that which you can attribute to mere
>> incompetence. I don't think it's a deliberate policy at Dell to not
>> support the Ubuntu they bundle with some of their machines.
>
> I KNOW it's deliberate policy at Dell to simply not support the machines
> they sell - with Ubuntu or Windows.

That has not been my experience.

>> There is no way that
>> Dell would have bundled Ubuntu with anything if they couldn't support it.
>
> LOL.  I might as well just quit for the day, because I won't be reading
> anything that funny again.  Dell's policy is to offer to support
> practically anything, charge you for it, and then ignore you when you try
> to hold them to it.

Again, that has not been my experience. At a school that I'm helping,
they have ~50 Dell machines and one server. There was an amber light
flashing on the front panel of the server and not knowing anything about
Dell servers, I called their support line. They spent a considerable
amount of time on the phone with me, at no cost to me other than my
time, to install diagnostic tools, run the diagnostic tests, and to
analyze the output of the tests. It turned out to be a dead CMOS
battery, which they offered to ship to me but I thanked them and told
them I could source one locally. It was only after they helped me deal
with the problem that I was told the warranty on the server had expired
a month prior. It's entirely possible that they were so helpful because
they wanted the school to extend the warranty on the server, which the
school did, but what difference does it make why they behaved as they
should have? If they did the right thing because of a profit motive,
then the system was working exactly as it should have been.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis