Open source alternative to ArchiCAD for ubuntu 8.10 x64

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 23 13:00:35 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> kmadananteshwar.vbhat at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi karl .. Thanx 4 the advice but I wasn't referring to auto cad and what
>> I really meant was that I wanted to know weather or not there are any
>> open source 3D/2D CAD/Building Information Modeling software available
>> for Ubuntu and I said ARCHICAD not AUTOCAD
>
>     In the USA there are 3 types of Autocad you can buy.
>      If your doing work for Business in the USA they will not accept
> your work if it is done on any other software. In other countries they
> may not be the same.
>
>     I went to Google and you can't buy ANY version of Autocad for
> Ubuntu.

Which part of "I said ARCHICAD not AUTOCAD" was unclear?  I have a builder
friend who does all of his work in some freeware 3D Home Design toy.  If
you're building homes, you need something that will print plans acceptable
by your local planning department, and can quickly show the buyer what
they'll be getting.  You don't need AutoCAD.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what's available for Linux.
--
derek