Enough already

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:13:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 05:41:32 -0600, Karl F. Larsen posted:

> Thorny wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:26:05 -0600, Karl F. Larsen posted:
>>

>>>     I do like the way gmail works but the IMAP stinks! It works just
>>> fine for a few days and then like today it almost stopped working. I
>>> hope this will make the list.
>>> So I am looking for something I can buy that works almost all the time.
>>>

>> Karl, I know we are supposed to try and help people with the actual
>> questions they ask but the problem with that is that when people are
>> having trouble they often become frustrated and attribute the problem to
>> a wrong cause and seek a solution based on that.
>>
>> It would probably be more productive and likely to get better answers if
>> you would make a more detailed trouble report. Detail what is happening
>> that you think shouldn't be happening, what isn't happening that you
>> think should be happening and any other things, like confirm that you
>> still have a connection at the time the problem occurs. Symptoms.
>>
>> I remember you mentioning trouble with Gmail IMAP access not too long
>> ago and at that time you mentioned someone was fouling it up for you. If
>> there is a chance your password was compromised, you'll just continue to
>> have trouble with that account until you change it. But, you can't rely
>> on everyone reading this who might be able to help you to remember any
>> history involved, so a good trouble report is very important. I realise
>> it takes time and trouble to write it out. Took time for me to type this
>> advice too but that's why we come here.
>>
>> One thing you might do is open another account with a strong password
>> and see if it works the way you want and expect. Also note what poster
>> Tommy Trussell mentioned about trying the web interface. If you need an
>> invite to make it easy to open another account, I imagine one of us
>> would send you one.
>>

>     I have changed to POP3 mail from Gmail and it seems to be working
> well at the moment. The time I thought someone had interfered with my
> IMAP, it was Google that was broken, not someone else causing just me a
> problem.
>
>     Yesterday I received 8 large emails that IMAP was not working on.
> When I tried to send mail it would take a minute to process through
> Gmail's SMTP. These are signs that IMAP is failing.

Well, large email have always been problematic. Of course, I don't know
how you define large. :-) If they were coming down at the same time as you
were trying to send, your broadband bandwidth may have been saturated and
thus slow to respond.

Do you have gnome-system-monitor on your system, if so you could look at
the Resources tab and get a graphical representation of upload and
download in the Network History graph.