9.04 upgrade

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 01:51:08 UTC 2009

chris at riply.co.za wrote:
> The upgrade will not remove any of your applications =]

I don't think that is always true. It depends on what is being upgraded
and what new libs are being installed. It might so happen that some new
versions of libraries and package may conflict with previously installed
ones resulting in the removal of the latter.

The best way to go about doing the upgrade, IMHO, is to do:
$> sudo aptitude update
$> sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

while keeping a close on eye on what packages might be removed. Once
this goes through, the next step can be to just see what will happen
with full upgrade ("-s" means "simulate, but don't do any changes"):
$> sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade

and see what packages might be removed. If that shows no problems, then
the full upgrade may be performed:
$> sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Bottom line: do safe-upgrade first while keeping an eye on what is to be
removed, then simulate full upgrade. If all is well, do the full upgrade.

Good luck.

ever having been read.