[VirtualBox] was Re: Ubunto 8.10 and AVG 7.5.51

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 21:34:41 UTC 2009

On 03/22/2009 04:47 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:24:46 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>>> I'm still very new to linux and ubuntu but so glad I have made the
>>> change from dark side. Wish I had done this many many years ago!! I do
>>> like someone's option of "Windows in a virtual environment (VirtuaBox
>>> for instance)" Would like to learn and hear more about this. Any help
>>> would be appreciated
>>>

>> Short answer:
>> Virtualbox is a program that runs Windows in it's own window inside
>> Linux.
>>
>> Expanded answer:
>> Virtual box can be extended to give the appearance of running _both_
>> Linux and Windows simultaneously, each with it's own task bar and menus.
>> It is amazing.
>
> Is this apart of linux, from the repo's or purchasable program

It's better to start an new thread & subject. However:

There is an opensource version in the repositories, however that version
does not support USB (or at least it didn't, I've not checked lately) so
I recommend that you install the VirtualBox PEUL version, see:

http://www.virtualbox.org/
  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
   http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Debian-based Linux distributions: Add one of the following lines
according to your distribution to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free
[be sure to add the key]

Before you actually install VirtualBox, VMWare, or any other
virtualization application please be sure to spend time googling and
understanding what/how you are installing first. For VirtualBox, spend
some time reviewing the forums and mailing list:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

Quite a few users on this list also use VirtualBox, so if you need help
(Ubuntu related) post back with a different thread & subject and I/we'll
be happy to help.