Login window resolution

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Mar 22 19:11:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:34:53AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:27:03 +0000
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> > > What you can try is making a change in your xorg.conf file.  So do
> > > a "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and scroll down until you get to
> > > display.  You will see a line that has "Modes" and probably a bunch
> > > of resolutions after that.  Add the resolution you need that
> > > matches your monitor and video card as the first resolution listed,
> > > and reboot.  It may take some trial and error, but this should help.
> > >
> > Not true any longer, since 8.04 I think, the resolution is set
> > 'automatically' and there's nothing related to it in the xorg.conf.
> >
> > You *can* still set the resolution manually in xorg.conf but it's not
> > normally necessary.
> >
> > ... and finally I'm not sure that setting the resolution in xorg.conf
> > will affect the login screen (gdm) anyway.  I think the OP is
> > suffering from the same problem that I have, gdm doesn't use the same
> > resolution as X.
> >

> To change the gdm login window resolution, you can do it
> in /etc/usplash.conf . Using "gksu gedit /etc/usplash.conf", add the
> relsolutions like this:
>
> xres=1440
> yres=900
>
> Change the numbers to what you need. This has worked for me since 6.06.

Changing /etc/usplash.conf only seems to change the splash screen
resolution, not the gdm login screen.  In addition I think you need to
run update-initramfs for the changes to take effect.

So, I can change my splash screen resolution now but the gdm login is
obstinately still where it was.

--
Chris Green