Login window resolution

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Mar 22 17:27:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:28:44AM -0400, Dirk Freitag wrote:
> Mahadi Hasan wrote:
> > My login window resolution is bigger than that of my desktop. My
> > desktop's resolution is 1024*768. How do I bring the login window
> > resolution to 1024*768?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mahadi
> >

> What you can try is making a change in your xorg.conf file.  So do a
> "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and scroll down until you get to
> display.  You will see a line that has "Modes" and probably a bunch of
> resolutions after that.  Add the resolution you need that matches your
> monitor and video card as the first resolution listed, and reboot.  It
> may take some trial and error, but this should help.

Not true any longer, since 8.04 I think, the resolution is set
'automatically' and there's nothing related to it in the xorg.conf.

You *can* still set the resolution manually in xorg.conf but it's not
normally necessary.

... and finally I'm not sure that setting the resolution in xorg.conf
will affect the login screen (gdm) anyway.  I think the OP is
suffering from the same problem that I have, gdm doesn't use the same
resolution as X.

--
Chris Green