modprobe blacklist help desperately needed.

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Mar 22 14:03:36 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Where have you put that blacklist line? I was just looking at the output
> of modprobe earlier tonight. There are a bunch of blacklist lines in the
> configuration file, and they all start at the top, and continue down for
> many, many, pages in the file.

at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

esj at first-triad:~$ tail /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# acer vid camera sucks.
blacklist gspca

> Modprobe is designed for adding things like new blacklist lines to the
> configuration for you, so have a look at "man modprobe" in Terminal to
> discover how to do it. I note that when looking at the output from
> modprobe earlier, even 'though it had my nvidia video card driver
> blacklisted early in the file, it later enables and runs the same driver
> for me according to the later output in the same file.
>
> I had to pipe the output of modprobe through more as there was way too
> much to keep in the scroll buffer in Terminal. Here's the command to
> dump the configuration out where you can look at it before making any
> changes -
> modprobe -c  --showconfig | more

good clue.  found lots of gspca associated symbols and so I looked the usb id.

esj at first-triad:~$ modprobe -c  --showconfig | grep 0892
alias usb:v046Dp0892d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* gspca_vc032x

I'm going to try blacklisting gspca_vc032x and see what happens.

thanks for the help.  much appreciated.

--- eric