James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 11:12:15 UTC 2009

Hi Guys

On Sunday 22 March 2009 13:24:36 David Curtis wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:20:51 -0400
>
> Ronny Julian <k4rjj at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > I've tried installing several Amateur radio programs with the Package
> > manager.  Should they be showing up in the Amateur radio section of the
> > Applications menu or am I missing something.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> > Ronny K4RJJ
>
> Not necessarily, some apps have menu entries and some do not.  Taking a
> look at 'properties' in synaptic for the apps without a menu entry will
> tell you the name of the binary executable you need to invoke in a
> terminal, or with alt-F2 if it is a gui app. All are usually installed in
> /usr/bin/.
>
> --
> David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>

I learned a while back that not all programs will show in the applications
menu. However they might show if you enable the "debian menu" which will give
many more programs you can click on not in the ordinary menu.  It seems the
simplest way to do this is to follow the instructions at this site

http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/04/07/the-debian-menu-on-ubuntu-or-finding-all-those-programs-again/

But then some programs won't show leaving you to start them from a terminal.
There's no reason you can't create a link in the menu to them though

James