[ubuntu-users] Changing 232.9 NTFS hd to EXT3

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Sat Mar 21 05:37:50 UTC 2009

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Ted Hilts <thilts at mcsnet.ca> wrote:
>
>> This is a resend as the original email has not shown up on the list.
>>
>> I want to know the optimal solution.
>> The hard drive (HD) is 232.9 GB.
>> The application using the HD is the storage of web pages.
>> The HD is currently mounted as NTFS and there is no data on it that I
>> want..
>> Ubuntu is installed in a dual boot grub configuration.with XP HOME.
>> While Ubuntu is booted I want to format this drive.
>> Eventually all but one of the 6 current NTFS formatted hard drives will
>> be changed to EXT3.
>>
>> The following is what I think is the correct use of options to be
>> applied after the 232.9 GB HD has been dismounted by Ubuntu with the
>> command umount "/media/sdc1"
>>
>> sudo /sbin/mkfs.ext3 -c -i 1024 -b 1024 -L HDA1 -v /dev/hda1
>>
>> and then mount the HD.  Also, is there anything I have missed?
>>
>> I think the smallest size for blocks is now 1024 but at one time used to
>> be 512.
>>
>> BELOW is the man page synopsis:
>>
>> SYNOPSIS
>>      mke2fs  [  -c  |  -l  filename ] [ -b block-size ] [ -f
>> fragment-size ] [ -g blocks-per-group ] [ -i
>>      bytes-per-inode ] [ -I inode-size ] [ -j ] [ -J journal-options ]
>> [ -N number-of-inodes ] [ -n  ]  [
>>      -m  reserved-blocks-percentage  ]  [  -o creator-os ] [ -O
>> feature[,...]  ] [ -q ] [ -r fs-revision-
>>      level ] [ -E extended-options ] [ -v ] [ -F ] [ -L volume-label ]
>> [ -M last-mounted-directory ] [ -S
>>      ] [ -T filesystem-type ] [ -V ] device [ blocks-count ]
>>
>>      mke2fs  -O journal_dev [ -b block-size ] [ -L volume-label ] [ -n
>> ] [ -q ] [ -v ] external-journal [
>>      blocks-count ]
>>
>> DESCRIPTION
>>      mke2fs is used to create an ext2/ext3 filesystem (usually in a
>> disk partition).  device is the  spe?
>>      cial  file corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdXX).
>> blocks-count is the number of blocks on the
>>      device.  If omitted, mke2fs automagically figures the file system
>> size.  If called  as  mkfs.ext3  a
>>      journal is created as if the -j option was specified.
>>

>> Thanks for any input -- Ted
>>

>> --
>>

> (Since there were no replies for your twin postings up to now...)
>
> Would you consider the use of a graphical application like Gparted?

I want to use the entire hard drive as ext3 format.  My concern is that
web pages are usually small even the big web pages. The last time I
formatted a Linux hard drive it was okay to specify block size as 512
but that seems not legal anymore. And then there is also the inodes.  So
I thought that maybe someone with a bit more experience on this issue
might either agree or make some recommendations. That is the reason I
provided all the information so they knew the size of the hard drive as
well as the kind of data to be stored on the hard drive.   I can't
possibly believe that there are no experienced Ubuntu  people on the
list that could agree with or suggest better options than those I
suggested. I tried the Ubuntu documentation but could not find these
questions explained. In the past (some time back) I would just leave the
block size to be the default  and would not consider it an issue and I
would set inodes as shown.  But this time I wanted to make sure that I
was creating an optimal solution.

So that's the story and I hope someone out there can either agree with
my solution or offer better formatting options.

Thanks -- Ted