PPTP anomaly

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Mar 21 02:18:47 UTC 2009

Firstly, this isn't a "it's broken", everything still works just dandy,
it's more of a curiosity thing... I note on Ubuntu something is caching
and not releasing IP details.

I'll use my laptop as example, intranet dhcp assigned IP of 10.99.99.14
works great, now disable wireless, shutdown, travel to where ever, boot,
no net (OK that's good) dialin to Internet, works great...

VPN IP range is 10.99.99.201-250, this works as indicated on XP laptops,
but on Ubuntu laptops it returns you to the previous dhcp issued address,
logout vpn, logout of dialin, reboot, repeat process, same thing, my vpn IP
is 10.99.99.14, far outside the above "remote-ip" range, as above everything
still works, but I thought it rather odd that it gets this IP still, also
my laptop boots into XP pro, Slackware 12.2 and Fedora 10, *none* of them
have this problem, only Ubuntu... another staffers dual boot laptop does
same (I actually found this issue by auditing her) keeping its last dhcp
IP, unless booted into XP when it gets a correct vpn assigned IP.
(vpn server is not the same hardware as dhcp server)

Anyone seen anything like this?

Cheers

--
Res

-Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers