Ubunto 8.10 and AVG 7.5.51

Fri Mar 20 12:22:51 UTC 2009

Steve Reilly wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I just downloaded AVG 7.5.51-a1423 and I can't get working correctly.
>>> I know I need to get license number but this is only the free ver so
>>> where do I get that from.
>>>
>> You don't need that here :) Welcome to the real world!
>>

> agreed, unless you plan on forwarding a bunch of viruses and untested
> .exe files to your "friends" on windows boxes, then theres absolutely no
> need for antivirus software on linux.

I disagree.

At the risk of starting another long, pointless sub-thread, the only way
to make sure you're not forwarding a bunch of binaries and untested exe
files to your friends is to run some kind of anti-virus software.

All my boxes that interact with Windows clients (which is nigh on all of
them) run anti-virus software. The fact that the boxes themselves are
impervious to the bulk of what they are looking for doesn't mean they
should ignore them and leave them be to go and destroy other people's
computers.

I don't know why Chris feels the need to run anti-virus software, and I
don't think it's entirely fair to just tell him he's wrong without
knowing why. Sure, suggest that it's not always neccesary, but I
_really_ dislike the whole "that's a Windows problem, we'll sit and
watch" mentality.

Anyway, rant over, back to helping.

--
Avi Greenbury :) http://aviswebsite.co.uk