Brightness applet works in KDE but not in Gnome

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 04:30:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Vincent Arnoux
<vincent.arnoux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 20:11, Vincent Arnoux <vincent.arnoux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello the list,
>> As the title says, I have in issue with the brightness applet in gnome
>> (the slider that lets you modify the screen brightness) on my 8.10
>> laptop. In KDE it works fine. In Gnome, when I move the slider, the
>> desktop will hang for a few minutes (5 to 10 minutes) and (very slow)
>> step by (very slow) step reach the brightness level I set. How can I
>> fix or at least where should I look to debug that behavior?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vincent
>
> OK, so I guess no one can give me a hint on this issue? Not even where
> to look for log files? When starting the applet from a terminal, I get
> no output.
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent

It seems this feature is provided by

acpi-support:

"scripts for handling many ACPI events

This package contains scripts to react to various ACPI events. It only
includes scripts for events that can be supported with some level of
safety cross platform.

It is able to:
 * Detect loss and gain of AC power, lid closure, and the press of a
   number of specific buttons (on Asus, IBM, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sony
   and Toshiba laptops).
 * On some laptops, set screen brightness."

Perhaps you could check in Synaptic - acpi-support -
Properties/Installed Files if your notebook brand is listed.

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1