Ubuntu Mailing List FAQs - It's Alive Igor!

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:18:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>> PS  I'd especially like to see a 'server vs desktop' FAQ up there, but
>> wasn't comfortable writing it myself right now.  Anyone???
>
> What exactly would this focus on?

The first FAQ would be how do you get a GUI on a -server install.
That's been  kicked around a lot.  Webmin vs ubuntu-desktop vs ???

The second FAQ would be when do you need to do a server install. I've
recommended people just use -desktop and add the services they need.
Someone from the server group objected to that.  I'm not 100% clear
why, but certainly could see arguments about too many running
services, unneeded software etc.  But if it's just a home user doing
it for light use or education, does that stuff matter?  Are there
other good reasons? Obviously we aren't talking commercial/high usage
here.  It's something I'd like to get a better answer to myself.

Brian