Usb parallel adaptor weird problem (pl2305)

Sebastián Ariel Mazzitelli samazzitelli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 22:51:33 UTC 2009

Hi:

I'm running on linux ubuntu intrepid 8.10
Kernel 2.6.27-11
gcc version = 4.3.2 (x86_64-linux-gnu)

I don't have a parallel port on my pc so i've purchased an usb parallel adapter with IEEE 1284 compatibility.
It has the pl2305 as micro. It's the usb printer adapter.
The usb-parallel adapter was automatically detected by linux.
It seams to have the drivers and all.
My printer is an old Epson lx-810.
I'm using the "Epson Dot Matrix Foomatic/epsonc" as the printer driver.

Here is the problem.
When i start the pc on linux and try to print it doesn't print exactly what i want.
Ex: If i want to print:

+---------------------+
|      hello world   	    |
+---------------------+

it prints

| hello world |

It does the same no matter if there is a graphic or a string. It leaves a space between lines and the tab it doesn't have the right length.
If i reboot the pc (without turning it off) on windows it doesn't print well either.
But if i turn off the pc and start it with windows it does print fine. And if next to it i reboot the pc on linux (without turning it off), it works like a charm.
I'm assuming that the usb-parallel adapter is the problem but i don't know how to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Sebastian.