Restarting Xserver from cli

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Mar 19 18:43:06 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> That really doesn't follow.  Developers _are_ sometimes capable of
>> recognizing potential human-computer interface issues. The only thing
>> about it that annoys me is that once again, a usability issue has been
>> "done to death" by the developers without once asking the opinion of
>> this, the "users", list.
>
> That is because there are only two industries in which the consumers
> are called "users". In neither industry is the users' best interest
> the focus of development.

That's not it.  In the first place - we're not consumers, we're users. We
don't "consume" the product.  There are many "industries" where the
customers are users, but _they_ usually call them "clients", which imo is
much worse.

But in the computer industry, there _are_ developers who put the users'
interests first, but they're few and far between, and I'm really
disappointed in the apparent fact that Ubuntu is no longer one of them.
This particular issue is relatively unimportant, but I just can't fathom
the fact that it was apparently considered _extremely_ important on the
developers' list, and yet nobody thought of asking users.
--
derek