xorg.conf question

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Mar 19 12:49:33 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I want to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu when its released, but I don't
>> want to have to dork with the same-old display resolution issues all
>> over again.  Can I take my existing xorg.conf file, save off a copy,
>> install the new Ubuntu when its out and replace its xorg.conf with my
>> own after I've installed the Nvidia drivers?  I read somewhere once
>> that you can.
>>

> The newer *buntus are using bulletproof X, which by default dos not
> use xorg.conf.

Not quite - it always uses xorg.conf, but by default there isn't much in
there.

> Supposedly, you can add your own lines to xorg.conf but
> my experience with this has not been great.

I have rarely managed to add anything new there with complete success the
first time, but that's not what he's suggesting.  If he has a working
xorg.conf now, I would _absolutely_ recommend keeping a copy, installing
his new release - and if X isn't working as desired, try reinstalling his
own version.

> However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kubuntu 9.04 alpha
> recognizes and configures my unusual widescreen resolutions.

And chances are that sooner or later, he'll be pleasantly surprised to find
the same.

> So I
> really don't need to edit xorg.conf in 9.04. I very much suggest that
> you try the current alpha and see how it works on your system:
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/jaunty/alpha-6/
>
> Don't forget to file a bug if it _doesn't_ work, so that it could be
> fixed before release. Thanks.

Ditto!
--
derek