xorg.conf question

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Thu Mar 19 12:21:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:21:22 -0400
Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu when its released, but I don't
> want to have to dork with the same-old display resolution issues all
> over again.  Can I take my existing xorg.conf file, save off a copy,
> install the new Ubuntu when its out and replace its xorg.conf with my
> own after I've installed the Nvidia drivers?  I read somewhere once
> that you can.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Ignore any answers to the contrary. Copying it over should not be a problem.

Hand editing Xorg.conf is not necessary in most cases but if Xorg doesn't configure your hardware right you _absolutely_can_edit_the_file_. _Xorg_will_read_it_. I've done it enough times on Hardy, Intrepid and now Jaunty.

In fact you can still edit xorg.conf not just for resolution issues, but for strange input devices and multiple displays.

See  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

And a google on 'ubuntu resolution' or 'xorg.conf example ubuntu' will return a ton of stuff about what you can do with this file.

--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>