3rd Generation iPod Nano write support?

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Thu Mar 19 01:49:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 07:42:44PM -0700, NoOp wrote:

> Again I don't have one, have you tried gtkpod-aac? Note: I'm not just
> throwing out links (:-) as I'm interested as well; my son dualboots to
> WinXP when he uses his ipod so I'm interested learning how to help him
> use his ipod with Ubuntu.

I haven't tried gtkpod-aac. gtkpod, yes, and rely on it for actually
managing the music on the ipod itself. Seems to work well. The only
issue I have is that the album art seems to be a problem. It gets
lost, which is not a big deal to me, but certainly a shortcoming. Last
I looked it was a known issue, but they were not in a hurry to
improve it. Anyway, just installed gtkpod-aac and will look at it next
time I hook the ipod up. I listen to what I have, but don't do a lot
of futzing around with it. Most of what I have on it, are CD's that I
ripped with rhythmbox, then moved on to the ipod with gtkpod. I
suspect that there is a way to do this with one application, but I
like both those, and they both have their strong suits.

Anyway, the ipod is a great little piece of hardware.

As mentioned iTunes is a problem. Hats off to Apple. Not only did they
create some great handheld hardware, but a really nice way to manage
music across multiple devices. And they pretty much created the online
music store fad. They have done a great job of integrating all this
very seamlessly. (And iphone too). There is nothing in native Linux
that does all this as well as Apple does it. And I doubt there will
ever be a native Linux iTunes version. And I am put off by the extreme
lengths Apple goes to keep all this as proprietary as they do. So I
shy away from iTunes on principle. I never seen anything that I wanted
that Amazon did not have as DRM free mp3's. I rarely listen to music
with anything else except the ipod, so the DRM crippled stuff that I
do have (due to giftcards), is not much of a problem.

The DRM iTunes music will not play on Linux (I haven't tried in a few
months). It just won't. You can still probably copy DRM music  and
delete it, but why? I am happy as a clam with my approach (mp3's as
much as possible, rhythmbox and gtkpod), but I suspect people who are
used to the all-in-one mega-app approach won't. Its maybe a typical
*nix versus MS approach to things.

--
Hal